Sunday, September 5, 2010

Cats & Dogs


Call me crazy, this weekend I have 7 dogs! This is the most that I've intentionally kept, save for the 12hr "layover" I had a few months back in which there were 8. For those of you who have been here, you know that my place is small, which makes it extremely important for each n every dog to be properly matched and either a) take Tilden's lead and love other dogs, or b) go Gia's route and avoid other dogs. Never once have I outright required boarding dogs to be cat friendly (workable - yes - because i understand that not all families have the opportunity to cat test their dogs)... but between knowing my cat, knowing every nook and cranny of my house (escape routes), and having a good read on dogs general behaviors in regards to aggression and prey drive... never once have I had an incident or even a close call.

I've observed Mica (my cat) extensively. She has her post at the top of the stairs in which she'll sit and calculate the size, color, movements, scent and jingle of a collar, for every dog that walks into my house. If there are any doubts, she'll 'disappear' until they leave... but other than that - she trusts that I'll keep her safe (separated) from them if needed and she carries on as usual. She's either confident, or she's not... there isn't a bunch of hissing, batting, teasing, running, etc. If she makes an appearance, its because she knows the coast is clear.

This morning was pretty funny... i woke up and noticed that both indoor water bowls were low or empty and once i started to fill them up, i had a "line". well i shut the water off and returned to the main room... i hear a meow and down the stairs trots Mica right past the line of dogs and politely sits in the front of them. I put the water bowl down and normally several dogs will rush the bowl and all drink together... well today, 6 of the 7 waited patiently until Mica was finished before taking their turns. And here I thought I was the one in charge, hmph! Gia, of course, being the brainiac that she is, was already waiting at the kitchen knowing that i'd soon come to fill the 2nd bowl and that she'd get first dibs.

Mica is amazing cat. I couldn't have asked for one better! Now lets see if Simone turns out just as savvy. Who's Simone?

Ha...you'll just have to wait and see =^..^=

Happy Labor Day!!

(an oldie but goodie, the day Gia and Mica met, 4yrs ago)